Saturday, July 6, 2013

They Are Losing It: Megan Horner

Megan is the sister of my former roommate, classmate, and Maid of Honor in my wedding, Lacey Horner. Megan has a super cute daughter named EB and lives at the beach. I'd like to share Megan's story of weight loss through lap band surgery and dedication to healthy eating and exercise. Enjoy! 
Megan Horner, Summer 2013
 

I’ve been considered obese practically my whole life, even though I was extremely athletic from 7-18 years old.  I was put on my first “diet” in middle school, 6th grade I think.  I don’t recall much of a weight loss, but then again, I was a kid and wasn’t concerned with it.  My doc requested that I be able to snack during certain times of the day along with eating my 3 main meals. 

It wasn’t until after I had my daughter EB in 2007 that I was considered morbidly obese.  I was working at a miserable job, weighing my heaviest at 232, stressed all the time, had no energy, among other things.  I quit my job and started working at my current job and joined the gym at the urging of my sister because it was just across the street from my work.  I lost 10 lbs. within a few months, but gained 5 back. 


July 4, 2009

Oct. ’11 I was put on blood pressure medication after getting into a car accident and injuring my back.  I had never had issues with my blood pressure before that time.  If anything, people would comment on how “normal” it was.

When EB said that I looked like I had a baby in my belly, but I “wasn’t” fat was one of my first revelations. At 5’2 and 232, I was still wearing my maternity clothes; mind you I had my daughter mid-2007!  I hated to shop for myself had the worst time finding items that fit me.  So I resorted to wearing a lot of dresses and “stretchy” bottoms.

June 2010
So after speaking with co-workers who had Lap-Band surgery, I decided to go to the seminar and see exactly what it was about.  In April or May ’12, during my “pre-surgery” requirements, my regular doctor diagnosed me with insulin resistance and was concerned with my triglycerides level.  The day I scheduled my surgery, I weighed in at 227.7 and started my 2-week low carb diet to prep my body for the big day.  End result, May 23, 2012 was my day!!! 

Easter 2012 about 7 weeks before surgery
The first few weeks after surgery were eventful!! I was on a strict diet for at least 5 weeks post-surgery, then gradually progressed from all liquid back to solid food.  About 6-7 weeks later, I went in for my first “fill” and weighed 10.5 lbs lighter!!!

My daughter EB motivates me the most because I need to be there for her as she gets older.  I want to be able to run around with her and play, carry her when she’s tired/sleepy without breathing heavily…My family and friends for all the support thus far because this is a hard journey that I need to succeed at. Lapbandtalk.com is a motivational website for me.

I was all about "bad for your arteries, comfort food" and probably ate fast food multiple times a week. Now I don't drink any soda or high calorie drinks, very rarely eat fried foods, breads, and red meat, and limit my intake of rice and pasta. I eat a lot of fish, seafood, and chicken, and eat fruits and veggies when I can handle it. Chocolate peanut butter protein shakes, Bolthouse Farms green goodness fruit smoothie, snacks of Simply JIF peanut butter & honey are some of my favorite snacks.  I’ll treat myself to a hot chocolate (where I add a scoop of protein powder when I can) or a milkshake. I’ve noticed that I crave chocolate more than I ever have in my life, even more than being pregnant, so I keep some sort of it on hand to tide me over.

Ready for New Year's Eve 2012 in my goal dress
I have neglected the gym since my surgery but am pushing myself to get back in there. With back issues, I mainly walk on the treadmill.  I just got a new beach cruiser too, so I intend on using that as a source of exercise.

Right now, my stomach is the “flattest” it’s ever been in my life!  My thighs don’t rub together nearly as bad as they used too!!! On May 1st 2013, I was released from doctor’s care for my blood pressure and am completely off meds! Insulin resistance is not an issue anymore.

Some advice I have is don’t rush yourself and expect a change quickly.  Slow and steady wins the race!!!
My most recent picture, June 26, 2013 at 154! I haven't weighed this much since probably 10th grade!

Would you like to be featured on my They Are Losing It series? Email me at lupehughes@gmail.com for more information!

1 comment: